Translate

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Holly Homemaker

Sorry this post is late--here's why:


First batch of home-canned peaches for the season. We're hoping to be done (for today) in a couple hours, and then if I have any energy left, I'll stamp!

I learned to can from my mother and grandmother. We did peaches, pears, grape juice, tomatoes and tomato sauce, cherries, apricots, and I'm sure more I can't remember anymore. Now my girls know how. It's important to me to "preserve" the tradition and the knowledge. You just never know!

What I love about home-canned food is first of all, the TASTE! So much better than anything else. Second, I love knowing exactly what's in my food. Especially now! And third, I love that the skill I kept up all these years finally makes financial sense. Preserving food has never been a particular money saver for me--more of a luxury. But food prices are so crazy, this year it actually "pays" to can your own!

Do you have any memories of canning with your family? What did you can?

7 comments:

Tandra said...

Oooh Amy those look yummy!!
Especially for say Peach Melba, or Peachy Crumble, Peach Pie...*sighs*

Ive never canned.My mom has wayyy back in the day.

Are these from your own peach trees?

Kathy said...

Your peaches look very yummy! I love home canned peaches. But I HATE to can them! When I was girl my parents would go buy many bushels of whatever fruit was in season. We would wake up to the fruit being scalded so we could remove the skins and there were days we didn't even get out of our pajamas 'cause we canned so much fruit! If I could look at canning fruit as a simple endeavor, maybe I would get brave enough to try it.

AJ said...

i want to learn how to can...maybe you can do a tutorial on your blog!
canning 101!!

Monica G said...

DH is the canner in our family. We are primarily doing tomatoes and sauce and applesauce. TONS of applesauce!

My kids are quite spoiled by the homemade spaghetti sauce.

Anonymous said...

I love to can. I am waiting for the peaches to arrive. I ordered 3 bushels and my dd and I are making peach jam and pies and cobbler to sell. It is a great fund raiser for her as well as a teaching too. I canned all that you did plus salsa, pickeled beans, beets, and bread and butter pickles. I also do a wonderful apple pear butter that tates like pie on hot bread with butter!

Your peaches look so yummy!

Melanie Hopes

Anonymous said...

Those look SO good! I'd love to learn how, are you giving lessons? :)

Kat said...

Oh, those peaches look so good! My mom canned peaches, cherries, beans, etc. I'm a grandma now and this was my first year canning. The equipment is quite an investment and doesn't leave much money for produce, and I live in an apartment, so no garden or orchard. But, I bought a pressure canner and have canned beef cubes and hamburger so far. The beef cubes taste so good I'm going to have to watch for more beef sales!